Down with a cold and flu. Staying home feeling sick and bored. Lost appetite for food but suddenly the penny dropped - how about home made, heart warming soup?! ... so today i decided to make some chinese soup with chokoes and carrots and lean pork. Hmm it sure tastes good and it is not only good for the body but for the soul! Soup is such comfort food in winter or when one is sick :)
The ingredients are simple:
approx 400g of pork muscle or pork gravy
2 carrors, roughly sliced
2 small Chokoes, skin and sliced
1 dried fig (optional, it adds to the sweetness of the soup)
1. Briefly blanch pork in boiling water in a pot
2. Remove water from pot, add in carrots, chokoes, 1 dried fig & 4 cups of water
3. Bring to boil and then turn down heat, simmer with low heat for about 1 hour
4. Turn off heat completely and reheat on low heat for another half an hour before serving. (I have found that the letting the soup sit for awhile allows the flavours to really come out)
5. Garnish with chopped spring onion before serving.
I did not add any salt as it is very tasty as it is and is good for one's health. You can use pork spare ribs, pork bones or pork gravy to make this soup, it all depends on your preference. I prefer pork gravy/pork muscle because they are lean. You can eat the meat but in my case most of it always go to Yuski .... Homemade soup can be very simple, my recipe is not complicated at all but it has all the natural nutrients and is very healthy.
Yuski has been accompanying me while i am recovering at home, so i took a couple of his pictures too, thanks Yuski for cheering me up! kiss kiss ;p