Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Sweet Potato Ondeh Ondeh & Deep Fried Sweet Potato Balls with Taro Paste

The once every 3-month Girls Cooked Off is coming up again, with the core ingredient being the humble sweet potato. Half of the group are making savoury and I belong to the group making a sweet/dessert.

After unfruitful search on internet, I decided to try making something from Malaysia again. I guess that's because food from my hometown always reminds me of my childhood and my family. There are at least 3 desserts from Malaysia that I really like:

1. Bubur Cha Cha - a popular Nyonya dessert of sweet potato, yam, black-eyed beans, tapioca jelly and sago pearls in thick coconut milk. There are slight variations depending of which part of Malaysia you try this dessert, some even have slice bananas in it.

2. Sweet potato On deh Ondeh - a Nyonya dessert fills with melted gula melaka(palm sugar), and then sprinkle with grated coconut that is seasoned with fine salt.

3. Deep fried sweet potatao ball with taro paste - this is a dessert my grandmother used to make every chinese new year. I have never seen it in a restaurant but I believe it is a teochew snack. If eaten straight after deep frying, the skin is crispy on the outside and chewy inside bcause of the glutinous rice flour.
I ended up making the deep fried potato balls a week before the cook-off and also making ondeh ondeh for the actual cook-off.


Deep Fried Sweet Potato Balls with Taro Paste

Sweet Potato Ondeh Ondeh


If it wasn't for the girls cook-off, I would have been too lazy to make these delicious childhood yummies, especially for the deep fried potato balls which is like an lost art in my home eversince grandma became physically unfit and stopped cooking. My version of the sweet potato ball is far from those made by my grandma but making this snack reminds me so much about her and her kind and childlike smile.

1 comment:

mnw said...

Hi Lisa
Used to be colleagues with David at S1 Corp. Stumbled upon your blog and am impressed with the good food that you cook.
Noticed you haven't updated your blog for a while. Do hope to see some of those food pics soon!
Ming Na